Thursday, August 25, 2011

Regrets Only Today

Things I regret:

1.  Not going back to look at the callback list after I auditioned for BYU's dance company and the play, The Glass Menagerie and another play I can't remember the name of.   I was afraid my name wouldn't be there.  What if it was?


2.  Remaining silent until finally my office partner, Robin, offered to take the side of the office without the window when I worked at WordPerfect 26 years ago.


3.  Not asking Wendall Thayne to Morp even though I ended up being sick and not able to go anyway.


4.  Not asking my mother more questions before she died.


5.  Not taking more math. . . probably. . . maybe. . .


6.  Not asking Laura to live with me my sophomore year at BYU when she couldn't find a place to live.


7.  Not dropping everything and spending a lot of money on a plane ticket and flying out to see my mother-in-law before she died.


8.  Not reading enough with my daughter, Morganne.


9.  Not keeping my pictures better organized.


10. Reading Catcher in the Rye as an adult for a BYU adolescent literature class.  I got an A; I should have taken the F. *


11.  Hiding in my room as a teenager when my parents came home from grocery shopping so I wouldn't have to help carry in the food.


12.  Not being more patient with my sisters.


13.  Kissing about half of the boys I kissed.


14.  Caring too much about popularity in high school.


15.  Not being in a play since high school.


16.  Not being nicer to people in school because I was waiting for someone to be nice to me.

17.  Wearing those teeny, tiny curlers the night before my seventh grade school pictures.  Yikes.

18.  Having ALL those bridesmaids in all those hideous dresses because I didn't want to leave anybody out.  Besides my sisters, I don't talk to a single one of those girls anymore. . .

19.  Asking for that night off when I worked at Golden Golden Gate Restaurant.  Maybe if I had been there I would have given the busboy a ride home and he would not have been found murdered in a nearby field the next day.

20. Telling Quin's 7th grade basketball coach that the tournament was a bad weekend for us and then hearing my son give the real reason, "I don't play on Sundays, coach."

21.  Asking my 9th grade seminary teacher, in front of the whole class, what circumsion meant when we were studying the Old Testament.

What regrets do you have?  If you had a do-over, what would you do differently?

*Regarding Catcher in the Rye, I happen to be very sensitive to language.  Words play over and over in my head.  I can't get them out.  I understand that this book might be a great read for others, but not for me.



4 comments:

  1. #17 and #21 should be on the list of things you are proud of!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post touched me and made me think. Unfortunately I'm not in a place (in my life) where I can air my regrets publicly so I guess I regret that I'm not able to talk about my regrets :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good question! Regrets that make me want to cry... can't put them down here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Missing David's race at the state track meet because I just had to finish up some work.
    Uninviting someone from coming to a party at my house because I thought she was too "fakey."
    The occasional tactless moment that ends up unintentionally hurting someone. :(

    ReplyDelete